12/10/08

Mystical Poets


"Who goes there? hankering, gross, mystical, nude..."
-Walt Whitman, Song of Myself


Looking for mystical poetry? Want to go into the great metaphysical beyond?
Think about these old favorites:





-Emily Dickinson
Behind Me -- dips Eternity --
Before Me -- Immortality --
Myself -- the Term between --
Death but the Drift of Eastern Gray,
Dissolving into Dawn away,
Before the West begin --

(keep reading)


-Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

(keep reading)

-Rumi
Don't worry about saving these songs!
And if one of our instruments breaks,
it doesn't matter.

We have fallen into the place
where everything is music.

(keep reading)

And a new favorite:

-Rita Dove
I prove a theorem and the house expands:
the windows jerk free to hover near the ceiling,
the ceiling floats away with a sigh.

As the walls clear themselves of everything
but transparency, the scent of carnations
leaves with them. I am out in the open

and above the windows have hinged into butterflies,
sunlight glinting where they've intersected.
They are going to some point true and unproven.


hear Rita read the poem at Pablo Neruda's grave.

No comments: